Cat and Dog Health Certificates in East Lansing, MI

If you’re looking to travel with your pet, either internationally, or domestically, you’ll need a health certificate for them! Each country, and even states like Hawaii, have their own rules and regulations about pet travel and you’ll need to obtain the proper cat or dog health certificate for your destination country.

As USDA-accredited veterinarians, we can help you get the certificate you need. A health certificate from our vets is eligible for endorsement by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), which is essential for entrance in to many countries. Let us know when and where you are traveling and we’ll work with you to get all your pet’s travel documents to you in a timely manner.

Do you need to book a cat or dog health certificate appointment? Call us at (517) 332-2511!

Understanding International Cat and Dog Health Certificates

Many countries, including the US, have health certificates specific to their country. While we can help you get the health certificate, it’s up to you to do the research so we know exactly what to include.

Here are some basic steps toward obtaining a cat or dog health certificate:

  • Start your research at USDA APHIS Pet Travel and search for your destination country’s or state’s pet travel requirements.
  • Contact us and let us know when and where you are traveling! We can then work on getting your pet’s vaccines and parasite prevention up to date so the certificate reflects their latest health status.
  • We’ll issue the certificate within a valid timeframe. Some countries have a tighter timeframe than others regarding the length of time the pet health certificate is valid between issuing it and the travel date. Please let us know the range of dates in which you will need the health certificate and we’ll work with that schedule to take care of it.
  • You may need to submit the health certificate to APHIS. Not all countries required APHIS endorsement, so do your research! As a USDA-accredited veterinarian, all of our health certificates are valid for endorsement.
  • After we issue the health certificate and it is endorsed by APHIS (if required), you can fulfill any outstanding requirements. Some countries allow your pet to get certain treatments, such as for parasites, after the certificate is issued.
  • Prepare your pet for travel by packing their essentials and ensuring they have a travel-safe carrier. Airlines, trains, and cruise ships may have different restrictions for pet travel, so be sure to check in with them well in advance so you have time to prepare.

What Pet Health Certificates Generally Include

Certificates will be customized to your destination country’s requirements, however, in general, they will include the following basic information:

  • Name of your pet
  • Breed
  • Color
  • Age
  • Country of origin
  • Your contact information including name, address, and phone number
  • A statement that your pet is free of parasites and their prevention is up to date
  • List of all current vaccinations and treatments including the type, manufacturer, and if possible, the batch number

Keep in mind that your pet must receive the rabies vaccine 21-30 days before travel but no more than 12 months before travel. While each country may have a slightly different timeline regarding rabies, all countries require that your pet enter the country before the expiration of their current vaccination.

Call our team at (517) 332-2511 with questions or to book an appointment!